Saturday, September 1, 2007

I've Arrived

Flying is an adventure in itself. I've arrive in Cape Town 37 hours after I left. Three long but interesting flights. Airplane seats are really not designed from anything but short flights: not enough padding!!! Needless to say, I have a very sort bottom!!! Everything went well. I had a long layover in Frankfurt, but that was okay. I spent the time people watching and sleeping. Cushioned benches are not bad at all for napping. The sights, sounds, and smells were all very different than what I am used to.

Sights - two of my favorite - a tall German man who came up an escalator and then strode through the crowds barefoot - not a pair of shoes in sight. My second favorite - a group of beautiful stewardesses from Thai Airlines in elegant turquoise and gold gowns.
Sounds - mutliple languages from the loud speakers, German, English, and Chinese. Japanese, Italian, French, and Russian and who knows how many other languages as I passed people or sat in a lounging chair listening to those passing me.
Smells - Eric - you are right, Frankfurt Airport is still smoky. Other smells, -we won't talk about that now.

My arrival in Capetown was very early this morning - 4:48 am. We were shuttled from the plane to a huge room to "queue up" for our passports to be checked, then on to baggage (yeah!! my bag arrived) and then through Customs. My friend, Alison, was waiting for me and off we went. Guess what, it was cloudy and rainy. I feel at home!!! It's not summer here like at home.
Today was the first official day of Spring.

My adventure has begun. Now to get over the jet lag. There is a nine hour difference in time from home. My days and nights are totally flip-floped.

My best to all. Thank you for the many comments.
I can now sign myself,
Linda,
World Traveler!!!

2 comments:

~~Deby said...

wooohoooo...
Welcome to the world traveler club......sounds like you are enjoying and taking in every moment..the world seems to get smaller the more that you see IMHO..
Praying you and Alison have a wonderful time renewing your friendship I am sure you are a blessing to her.
Well my friend, time to get ready for Sunday School..you will be missed.
Deby

lil-deb said...

Hey BABE! I'm glad you made it in one piece. Whoo Hoo! The construction at church is moving good and the bathrooms are looking great.

Have fun and dont forget sand for Dodie's daughter.

Love and miss you
Debby